GDE concerned about number of food poisoning cases reported in schools

Alpha Ramushwana
24 October 2024 | 5:00On Wednesday, 16 pupils at Emmangweni Primary in Tembisa were taken to hospital after eating atchar bought from two fellow pupils.
JOHANNESBURG - The Gauteng Department of Education said it's concerned about food poisoning cases that were being reported in schools.
On Wednesday, 16 pupils at Emmangweni Primary in Tembisa were taken to hospital after eating atchar bought from two fellow pupils.
Recent cases have been reported among children, including the deaths of six Soweto kids earlier in October.
Department spokesperson, Steve Mabona, said an urgent solution is needed to prevent similar cases.
"The MEC [Matome Chiloane] has indicated that he is deeply troubled by the increasing number of foodborne illness cases reported in our schools. The health and safety of our learners is our highest priority. We are working closely with authorities to fully investigate the cause of this incident."
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.