Govt to give a briefing on recent poisoning incidents in Naledi

Kgomotso Modise
28 October 2024 | 6:57Six children died after eating snacks bought from a local spaza shop earlier in October.
JOHANNESBURG - Government will on Monday morning give a briefing on the recent food poisoning incidents in Naledi, Soweto.
Six children died after eating snacks bought from a local spaza shop earlier in October.
At the weekend, Minister of Health Aaron Motsoaledi announced that four people had been arrested following inspections of shops in the area.
Motsoaledi revealed on Friday that a chemical believed to be linked to suspected food poisoning cases has been identified by officials.
This was after 84 spaza shops in Soweto were inspected.
The National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NCID) has also been roped in to conduct a probe into the recent food poisoning incidents.
Motsoaledi said during the inspections, the spaza shop owners confessed that there was an illegal chemical, which they bought at a mall in Johannesburg.
The minister and Minister of Police Senzo Mchunu will give an update on Monday morning on the recent arrests.
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.
Trending News
More in Local
30 August 2025 06:14
Hill-Lewis confirms the eviction process is underway to remove about 160 foreign nationals from two sites in Cape Town
30 August 2025 06:11
CODETA says it's unclear when they will meet to CATA to resolve taxi industry conflict
30 August 2025 05:59
CODETA says they'll most likely contest court ruling