State flags inconsistencies in Amber Lee Hughes' testimony as sentencing nears

Ntokozo Khumalo

Ntokozo Khumalo

19 February 2026 | 14:00

Hughes returned to the stand at the Johannesburg High Court on Wednesday for cross-examination as the matter moves closer to sentencing.

State flags inconsistencies in Amber Lee Hughes' testimony as sentencing nears

Self-confessed child killer Amber Lee Hughes during sentencing proceedings at the Johannesburg High Court on 19 February 20206. Picture: Katlego Jiyane/EWN

The State in the rape and murder case of four-year-old Nada Jane Challita has raised concerns about what it describes as numerous inconsistencies in the testimony of self-confessed killer Amber Lee Hughes.

Hughes returned to the stand at the Johannesburg High Court on Wednesday for cross-examination as the matter moves closer to sentencing.

The 26-year-old was convicted of the rape and murder of her former partner, Elie Challita’s daughter, who was in her care at the time of her death in 2023.

During her testimony earlier this week, Hughes told the court that she drowned the child and later attempted to take her own life. She claimed she had been driven to this point by alleged abuse at the hands of her former partner.

Hughes testified that she believed she had sacrificed everything for Challita and his daughter. She told the court that if she had left the relationship, the child would have been left without a mother figure and potentially neglected in her father’s care.

However, prosecutor Rolene Barnard questioned whether Hughes’ actions were truly in the child’s best interests, as she had suggested.

Barnard read aloud a text message sent by Hughes to Challita.

“If she asks me and my assistant, we will have nothing but positive things to say about you, my love heart emoji. Do you agree with that? Do you still stand by that?”

ALSO READ: Amber Lee Hughes says she believed killing Nada Jane Challita was attempt to save her from life of neglect

Barnard told the court that the message contradicted Hughes’ testimony about the alleged abuse in the relationship.

In response, Hughes said: “He was still a parent of one of my pupils, so I wouldn’t have discussed any of the matters that were happening at the school with him, especially in regard to welfare being involved.”

Barnard also questioned Hughes about her claims regarding the child’s alleged unsafe living conditions, arguing that evidence before the court suggested she only raised concerns about Nada’s welfare following arguments with Challita.

The court also heard a message sent by Challita to Hughes after she posted his personal information and damaging allegations about him on Facebook.

Barnard read from the message.

“Every time you're not feeling well, I have to pay for it with my life, my peace, with mine and my child's safety and well-being. Only to find out that you have been stealing from me and my child since the day you entered my house.”

Barnard told the court the pattern of messages suggested that whenever Hughes was unhappy, there were consequences for Challita and his daughter.

As Hughes’ defence team prepared to re-examine her, they requested a postponement in order to consult with her on the context of the text messages presented in court.

ALSO READ: 'Tricks in the book': Elie Challita reacts as Amber-Lee Hughes prepares to testify

The court questioned the relevance of the request, noting that Hughes had not denied the authenticity of the messages and that they had already been admitted into evidence.

“I think it's fair for Ms. Barnard to agree to your request to concede on these messages. But I don't think it should go further that, you should consult to set the context. You can ask cases under oath during re-examination to place the context,” said Presiding Judg,e Richard Makhabela.

The case has been postponed to Friday for the defence’s re-examination of Hughes.

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News