Mahlangu, Manamela responsible for deaths of 9 Life Esidimeni patients - court

Nokukhanya Mntambo
10 July 2024 | 12:57Handing down judgment on Wednesday afternoon, the Pretoria High Court found that the deaths were caused by the negligent conduct of both Qedani Mahlangu and Makgabo Manamela.
JOHANNESBURG - Former Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu and the head of the mental health directorate, Makgabo Manamela, were responsible for the deaths of nine Life Esidimeni patients.
Handing down judgment on Wednesday afternoon, the Pretoria High Court found that the deaths were caused by the negligent conduct of both Mahlangu and Manamela.
It follows months of gruelling testimony to determine if anyone should be held criminally liable for the 2016 tragedy where 144 mental health patients died during a botched marathon project.
Judge Mmonoa Teffo said the pair ignored warnings about the termination of the Life Esidimeni contract.
JUST IN: Judge Mmonoa Teffo has, so far, found that the death of 9 #LifeEsidimeni victims was negligently caused by the conduct of former Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu and the former Head of the Mental Health Directorate Makgabo Manamela. @khanya_mntambo pic.twitter.com/R0MK58Ki1m
— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) July 10, 2024
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.
Trending News
More in Local
29 August 2025 12:08
Lusikisiki massacre: Key witness expands on how accused 1 committed murders while in prison
29 August 2025 11:34
GIWUSA calls for SASSA and Postbank to reconsider their decision to end their partnership
29 August 2025 11:20
Winde says NERSA's R54bn out-of-court settlement with Eskom can't go unchallenged