France heading to one of worst wheat harvests in 40 years

AFP

AFP

9 August 2024 | 10:24

The harvest of soft wheat is expected to come in at around 26.3 million tonnes, a drop of nearly a quarter from last year and nearly 24 percent below the five-year average, the agriculture ministry's statistical service said.

PARIS - France is heading for one of its worst wheat harvests in 40 years, after a rainy winter and sparse sunny conditions hampered growth, authorities said on Friday.

The harvest of soft wheat is expected to come in at around 26.3 million tonnes, a drop of nearly a quarter from last year and nearly 24 percent below the five-year average, the agriculture ministry's statistical service said.

If confirmed, that would result in "one of the lowest harvests in the past 40 years", it said.

The figures could still change, as some farmers are still bringing in their wheat crops.

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News