Don't make this a South African against Nigerian issue - says slain e-hailing driver's family

VS

Vicky Stark

16 February 2026 | 15:03

"Today at court... was very difficult to handle. Looking at their faces... You wondering why did you do this?" says the family spokesperson.

Don't make this a South African against Nigerian issue - says slain e-hailing driver's family

Dikeledi Mphela, Gotsione Machidi and Mclaren Mushwana accused in connection with the murder of an e-hailing driver appear before the Pretoria Magistrates Court on 16 February 2026. Picture: Sphamandla Dlamini/EWN

The family of Isaac Satlat, the 22-year-old e-hailing driver who was strangled to death in his car last week stressed - this was not a South African against Nigerian crime.
"He was targeted because he's not South African. We don't believe that... This is a problem that we have in the country, violent crime - and we need to look for ways to deal with it because it's been going on for quite a while now," says family spokesperson Solomon Izang Ashoms.
Police launched a probe after a video of Isaac's murder went viral.
Ashoms was in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court this morning when three suspects: a woman and two men appeared and abandoned their bail application.
"Today at court... was very difficult to handle. Looking at their faces... You wondering why did you do this?
"The first charge is premeditated murder which the family is ok with because if we can prove that is what happened obviously they're going to get a maximum sentence."
Ashoms described Isaac as a lovable 22-year-old. "As a matter of fact he was supposed to turn 23 on the 12th of March. A couple of weeks from now. He's likable. He's not somebody who attracts drama, violence or anything. "
The family is looking at repatriating his body to Nigeria where all his family lives - except his dad who is here in South Africa.
"To be able to give the mother and two of his siblings closure. For them to be able to see him again, touch him again because they haven't done that in a couple of years."
Ashoms set-up a BackaBuddy page on Friday to raise R70,000 for the repatriation by lunchtime today they had raised R35,000.
"Most of the people who gave are South Africans because they know with this crime... it may be my uncle tomorrow, my niece, my son, my daughter. So people are really angry. So we want to thank people for giving."
To listen to Ashoms' full interview with CapeTalk and 702's Mandy Wiener, click the link below:
Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News