Nzimande set to brief media on NSFAS developments

GM

Gloria Motsoere

14 April 2024 | 10:40

The department said the decision was made as part of interventions meant to improve the efficiency of NSFAS.

JOHANNESBURG - Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande is expected to brief the media on recent developments related to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) on Sunday afternoon.

This after the minister dissolved the funding scheme's board last week, additionally placing it under administration.  

The department said the decision was made as part of interventions meant to improve the efficiency of NSFAS.

The dissolution also came after the resignation of the board's former chairperson, Ernest Khosa, amid allegations of corruption, which also include the minister.

READ: Nzimande dissolves NSFAS board with immediate effect

At the same time, student organisation South African Students Congress (SASCO), along with other organisations, have renewed calls for NSFAS to terminate its contracts with four service providers who run the funding scheme's direct payment system.

While the board had adopted a report that proved there were some irregularities in the appointment of the service providers, SASCO says there has not been any urgency from the funding scheme in resolving the matter.

Secretary Alungile Kamtshe says this should be done with immediate effect.

"We are largely interested that in the interim the moneys must be distributed by institutions of higher learning up until the method for direct payment is fine-tuned so there is no middle person, it becomes direct, not indirect."

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News