Usindiso Building fire: Family of man accused of torching building struggling to come to terms with ordeal
Alpha Ramushwana
25 April 2025 | 13:25Thirty-one-year-old Sthembiso Mdlalose is standing trial in the Palm Ridge Magistrates' Court facing arson, murder and attempted murder charges.
JOHANNESBURG - The family of the man accused of torching the Usindiso Building in Johannesburg’s CBD, is still struggling to come to terms with the ordeal.
Thirty-one-year-old Sthembiso Mdlalose is standing trial at the Palm Ridge Magistrates' Court facing arson, murder and attempted murder charges.
While he previously confessed to starting the blaze that killed 76 people, he has applied to withdraw his confession.
READ: Alleged Usindiso building fire arsonist challenges validity of his confession
Mdlalose appeared in court on Friday, where his cross-examination was postponed after he complained about his mental and emotional well-being.
Arson and murder accused Mdlalose walked into court on Friday, with his family seated in the public gallery, hoping to hear his side of the story.
As he was asking the court to consider postponing his case, he looked back at his father and expressed gratitude for standing by him despite the charges he’s facing.
"I owe not only to myself but to my dad - he’s always there. As you can see, the old man is not well as well. I’m just happy he hasn’t given up on myself."
Mdlalose’s father, Bheki Khumalo, said that the moment brought pain to his heart.
"I’m deeply hurt because my son didn’t look okay today. You can tell he’s quite exhausted. But we’ll have to hear what he says when he testifies."
Mdlalose is hoping to end his trial as a free man, as he claims he was coerced into taking the fall.
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.
Trending News
More in Local

30 November 2025 17:36
FULL SPEECH | Address to the nation by President Cyril Ramaphosa on the conclusion of G20 South Africa

30 November 2025 17:30
French Embassy in SA denies media reports SAPS officers refused entry to investigate death of late ambassador Nathi Mthethwa

30 November 2025 17:00
WATCH: President Ramaphosa addresses the nation







