Communications Dept: Gazetting of draft policy in ICT sector has nothing to do with Starlink

Kgomotso Modise
23 May 2025 | 15:15If passed, this will allow companies in the ICT sector like Elon Musk's satellite internet company, Starlink, to operate without complying with a 30% black ownership requirement.
JOHANNESBURG - The Department of Communications and Digital Technologies said that Friday's gazetting of a draft policy in the ICT sector has nothing to do with international satellite company, Starlink.
Minister Solly Malatsi issued the draft policy direction for public comment on Friday.
ALSO READ:
If passed, this will allow companies in the ICT sector, like Elon Musk's satellite internet company, Starlink, to operate without complying with a 30% black ownership requirement.
The draft policy direction by Malatsi follows remarks by Musk that he had been denied a license to operate in South Africa because he was not black.
If the proposed policy passes, the way would be paved for the company to operate in South Africa without being 30% black-owned.
But the department’s spokesperson, Kwena Moloto, denied that this move had anything to do with Starlink or this week’s meeting between presidents Donald Trump and Cyril Ramaphosa, where Musk was present.
With the public invited to make comments on the draft policy direction, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) said that it would challenge the proposal in Parliament.
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.