One dead after 'massive' Russian attack in Ukraine

AFP
30 August 2025 | 5:58"At night, the enemy carried out massive strikes" on Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine's state emergency service said on Telegram.
A 'massive' overnight Russian attack on central and southeastern Ukraine killed at least one person, authorities said Saturday, with homes and businesses damaged in multiple cities.
"At night, the enemy carried out massive strikes" on Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine's state emergency service said on Telegram.
At least one person was killed and sixteen others wounded, including two children, according to regional military administration chief Ivan Fedorov.
"Russian strikes destroyed private houses, damaged many facilities, including cafes, service stations, and industrial enterprises," Fedorov said.
Ukraine's central Dnipropetrovsk region also came under attack early Saturday, the governor said, reporting strikes in Dnipro and Pavlograd.
"The region is under a massive attack. Explosions are being heard," Sergiy Lysak wrote on Telegram, warning residents to take cover.
Since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Dnipropetrovsk had been largely spared from intense fighting.
But Kyiv acknowledged on Tuesday that Russian troops had entered the region, after Moscow claimed its troops had gained a foothold there.
Dnipropetrovsk is not one of the five Ukrainian regions -- Donetsk, Kherson, Lugansk, Zaporizhzhia and Crimea -- that Moscow has publicly claimed as Russian territory.
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.