Zimbabwean officials roped in to ID, repatriate remains of illegal Stilfontein miners
Nokukhanya Mntambo
16 January 2025 | 15:58Undocumented Zimbabwean nationals are among more than 80 zama zamas who died at the Buffelsfontein gold mine when police intensified an operation to clamp down on illegal mining in the area.
JOHANNESBURG - As operations in Stilfontein wind down, Zimbabwean officials have been roped in to help identify and repatriate the remains of scores of illegal miners back to the neighbouring country.
Undocumented Zimbabwean nationals are among more than 80 zama zamas who died at the Buffelsfontein gold mine when police intensified an operation to clamp down on illegal mining in the area.
Close to 2,000 illegal miners were operating at the disused mine, with the biggest number of Mozambican nationals, followed by Zimbabweans and BaSothos.
READ MORE:
• Kingpins who commissioned mining op must be held accountable for Stilfontein crisis - police
• Stilfontein rescue mission winds down but Operation Vala Umgodi to continue
• SANCO battling to face relatives of illegal miners still hoping for their safe return
• Calls mount for establishment of commission of inquiry into govt's response to Stilfontein
• Stilfontein illicit gold trade: Police probing how the mineral changes hands from mine to market
• More pathology teams roped in to deal with rising death toll in Stilfontein
While thousands were arrested during the government-led operation Stilfontein more than 80 illegal miners are unidentified at mortuaries in the North-West.
Acting police commissioner in the province, Patrick Asaneng, said that diplomatic talks between Zimbabwe and SA were underway.
"They will assist us with the verification and confirmation of their addresses and with engaging with those that are still alive."
Consular General of Zimbabwe Eria Phiri visited Stilfontein on Thursday.
"So far, we went to start with the verification and identification of the 465 who have been brought to the surface alive. Using the 465, we will try to extract as much information as possible so that we have an indication of who was operating underground."
It's unclear how long this process will take.
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.
Trending News
More in Local
30 August 2025 06:14
Hill-Lewis confirms the eviction process is underway to remove about 160 foreign nationals from two sites in Cape Town
30 August 2025 06:11
CODETA says it's unclear when they will meet to CATA to resolve taxi industry conflict
30 August 2025 05:59
CODETA says they'll most likely contest court ruling