Former Bok coach Peter de Villiers acquitted on charges of sexual assault

ZK

Zulpha Khan

29 August 2025 | 5:28

The charges stem from a complaint filed while De Villiers was dabbling in a political career.

Former Bok coach Peter de Villiers acquitted on charges of sexual assault

FILE: Peter de Villiers during his time as Zimbabwe's national rugby coach. Picture: SIMON MAINA/AFP

CAPE TOWN - Former Springbok coach, Peter de Villiers, has been acquitted on charges of sexual assault.

Earlier in August, his lawyers filed a section 174 application to have the charges against him dropped. De Villiers pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted sexual assault, sexual assault and crimen injuria.

His legal team argued there was insufficient evidence for a conviction.

The charges stem from a complaint filed while De Villiers was dabbling in a political career.

In January last year, the GOOD Party received a complaint from a woman who accused De Villiers of allegedly sexually assaulting her after he dropped her off at home, following an event.

At the time, the former Bok coach was a member of the GOOD Party in Vredenburg.

His party membership was terminated after a party disciplinary process found him guilty of breaching the party's constitution and code of conduct.

His section 174 application was heard in the Vredenburg Regional Court two weeks ago, and on Thursday, the court handed down its decision.

His lawyer, Hendrik le Roux, said the magistrate found in De Villiers'favour.

"She indicated in her judgment there's totally insufficient evidence to even ask Mr De Villiers to answer to these allegations which were made by this complainant against him."

Le Roux said his client was relieved by the outcome.

"He's very happy about the acquittal, this case has taken his life apart in the last year and a half. He lost all credibility."

He added that De Villiers would now focus on rebuilding his life.

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News