SANTACO agrees to resume operations in Ekurhuleni

JM

Jabulile Mbatha

29 August 2025 | 15:10

The strike started as a result of the Department of Transport impounding taxis found to be operating without licences.

SANTACO agrees to resume operations in Ekurhuleni

Picture: © Alexey Stiop /123rf.com

JOHANNESBURG - The South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO) has agreed to resume operations in Ekurhuleni while discussions about a permanent resolution continue.

The strike started as a result of the Department of Transport impounding taxis found to be operating without licences.

The taxi operators are required to pay R5000 each to have their vehicles released.

SANTACO said it was necessary to go on strike to emphasise how badly they were affected by having to pay R5000 for the vehicles that had been impounded.

ALSO READ: Ekurhuleni taxi strike: Transport union (SATAWU) calls on law enforcement to prevent violence

On Friday, the council met with the Gauteng Transport MEC, Kedibone Diale-Tlabela, to find a resolution.

For now, SANTACO has agreed to let commuters in Ekurhuleni use their taxis; however, the issue of impounding remains unresolved.

SANTACO regional secretary, Zweli Mnisi said, " However, a parallel process will be undertaken to engage and interact to resolve all the issues that we have raised with her and hope that by the end of the day we will find one another.

SANTACO has apologised to commuters for the inconvenience the strike has caused.

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News