JOHANNESBURG - The first among the men accused of Senzo Meyiwa’s murder has told the Pretoria High Court that he signed a confession statement to save his life.
Muzi Sibiya spent the day giving his version of events in the trial within a trial.
The State wants his confession statement and two others signed by his co-accused Bongani Ntanzi to be admitted as evidence.
But both men insist they were beaten and coerced into signing.
While testifying on Monday, Sibiya told the court how police allegedly tortured him all day before making him sign a confession statement in the evening.
"I had been assaulted and I was afraid. Everything I did, I did to save my life. There was nobody there on my side or protecting me. Even the people I reported my assault to offered me no help."
Five men are standing trial for the Bafana Bafana captain’s murder over a decade ago.