FS asbestos corruption case involving Magashule jolted to a start

Kgomotso Modise

Kgomotso Modise

15 April 2025 | 12:43

Magashule, controversial businessman Edwin Sodi and other Free State government officials are being charged for awarding a dodgy R255 million tender for the replacement of asbestos from the roofs of 300 thousand township homes.

JOHANNESBURG - The Free State asbestos corruption matter involving former premier Ace Magashule has been jolted to a start after a failed attempt for another postponement.

Magashule, controversial businessman Edwin Sodi and other Free State government officials are being charged for awarding a dodgy R255 million tender for the replacement of asbestos from the roofs of 300 thousand township homes.

They face charges of fraud, corruption and money laundering.

A postponement was expected in the Free State asbestos corruption trial, as the matter has been characterised by delays and hurdles since it was enrolled in 2021.

On Tuesday morning, Mahlape Mohanoe, the lawyer for Free State supply chain director Mahlomola Matlakala, told the court that he only received instructions and the docket last week.

She also told the court that the advocate representing Matlakala has double-booked himself and is appearing in another matter in Johannesburg.

Judge Philip Loubser took issue with this.

“The problem I have with your request is that it is a rule of the Bar Association that an advocate may not accept a double brief.”

Judge Loubser snubbed Mohanoe’s request for a postponement.

“It is my view that this case must proceed today [Tuesday]. We cannot postpone, postpone, postpone and in three months’ time, we sit in the same position, and in six months’ time, we sit in the same position again.”

The accused are all pleading to the charges against them on Tuesday afternoon.

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News