UPDATE: Vanrhyns Pass bus crash death toll rises to 10
Maki Molapo
3 September 2024 | 3:41The victims were believed to be seasonal farmworkers from several Northern Cape towns who were en route to farms in Ceres.
JOHANNEBSURG - Ten people have died in a bus accident on Vanrhyns Pass in the Western Cape.
According to officials on the scene, the bus, carrying 44 passengers, rolled off the pass late on Monday afternoon.
Details regarding the cause of the deadly crash are still sketchy at this stage.
Western Cape Mobility Department spokesperson, Muneera Allie: "At this stage, it appears 44 passengers were on board, and the injured are currently being transported to the hospital. All teams are on site. Further information will be provided once available."
#VanrhynsPass The Western Cape Mobility Department says an investigation into the tragedy, is underway.
— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 3, 2024
All lanes have been reopened but police and traffic officials remain on site. LI
INVESTIGATIONS ONGOING
On Tuesday morning, the number of injured victims of the deadly crash rose to 29.
The Western Cape Mobility Department said an investigation into the tragedy was underway.
By Tuesday morning, all lanes had been re-opened on the pass, but police and traffic officials remained on site.
Meanwhile, the Rural and Farmworkers Development Organisation's Billy Claasen said the victims were believed to be seasonal farmworkers from several Northern Cape towns.
It's understood the workers were en route to farms in Ceres when tragedy struck.
"We will monitor this situation. We also convey our heartfelt thoughts and condolences to the families, friends, colleagues and the other farmworkers of those who didn't make it....and I want to plead to the community outside and people on Facebook and social media, to refrain from putting pictures and videos on social media," Claasen said.
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.